The Lazy Skeptic

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Skeptics Society Letter

Today I received a mailing from The Skeptics Society about fighting Intelligent Design in the public classroom. Firstly, it's cool to get a mailing from a group I actually want to get mailings from. Here are some interesting statistics it listed:

2005 Harris Poll
38% - Yes, I think human beings developed from earlier species.
54% - No, I do not think human beings developed from earlier species.
8% - Not sure.

2005 Pew Research Center Poll
36% - Replace evolution with creationism in biology classrooms.
64% - Open to the idea of teaching both creationism and evolution in public schools.


The Pew poll seemed odd to me, so I tried to find the source. The closest I could match was this page from people-press.org. Which shows that people were asked two different questions, not an either/or. I think I'll email Michael Shermer and ask him to clarify.

To add even more recommended reading this week... check out the Skeptic.com Reading Room.

"A comprehensive, free resource of articles relating to science and skepticism, as well as a community-building hub for skeptics everywhere."

As an aside, Blogger was giving me some problems when I tried to post last night. Instead of complaining, starting next week, I'm going to try and get the post up the morning of, instead of the night of. So Monday morning bright and early instead of Monday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home