The Lazy Skeptic

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Placebo Controled

I think most of us know by now that Placebos work to a point. This effect is mostly a reduction of perceived pain. I unfortunately can't find the article right now, but I remember a study that compared two placebos, one red pill and one green. The green pill seemed to perform better. This is likely because of the cultural concept of green as being a healing color, while red is more likely pain associated. I this this is the same pattern every placebo will follow.

It also seems that two different kinds of placebo will differ in their efficacy as well. In a study[1] looking at sham acupuncture vs. an oral placebo pill, the sham device seemed to work better. Probably because of the current public perception of "ancient" medicines. Homeopathy is a huge market that keeps pushing farther into the mainstream while not having to stand up to the same standards of typical medication. Something else I find interesting is about a quarter of the patients experienced side effects from the treatments. These being side effects from sugar pills and sham devices. It seems a placebo could be designed that would make you feel ill as well. Read this news article for a more digested version.

I've also read a couple conflicting things about placebos in general. There is a story about a metaanalysis of 114 other studies looking at placebos. They didn't find any significant improvement in the symptoms of the placebo patients. From what I can tell they were looking at results from objective symptoms. I.E. did the patients blood pressure really go down? As a generalization, they conclude placebos don't do anything for objective symptoms. It seems like they still lend some credit to subjective effects, like perceived pain. Here, a contradictory story looks at real chemical effects that happen in the brain while taking placebos. Odd discrepancy. Placebos may help you feel better, but they won't cure you. I suppose a placebo has the potential to do what your body can already do for itself. It's true that some people can meditate to lower their blood pressure, but maybe not everyone?

I was asked to look into the efficacy of real acupuncture. As of yet I haven't been able to find the study that examines acupuncture vs. sham acupuncture in a large scale, but it does exist. When I dig up that study I'll do a write up. I will say now that I don't expect anything to come from acupuncture. I'd say it's just a placebo like any other. It just happens to be a very popular one right now.


References:
  • [1] Kaptchuk, Ted J. Sham device v inert pill: randomised controlled trial of two placebo treatments. BMJ, doi:10.1136/bmj.38726.603310.55 (published 1 February 2006). British Medical Journal.

1 Comments:

  • I'd be interested to know how well placebo effects stack. For example, is the effect of the red pill plus the green pill vs their separate effects proportionally equivalent to say the effect of Tylenol plus Codeine vs. their separate effects.

    Knowing the answer to that would be useful in determining (a) how much of a placebo effect accupuncture is, and (b) if it is just a placebo, is it worth using multiple placebo approaches.

    See, the tenor of my nursng books is that initial studies indicate that accupuncture can have an effect on pain, but if you're already using a placebo-type pain reduction technique, then is it worth expensive accupuncture if placebo effects don't stack well.

    If they do stack well, then I say bring on the placebos! If not, screw it.

    I suppose it would also be important to figure out if two placebo pills stack as well as a placebo pill and a placebo herb, or if the different modalities affect the outcome.

    By Blogger Lucas, on 2/16/2006 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home